Background on the National Housing Conference
Founded in 1931, the National Housing Conference is America’s oldest and broadest housing coalition. We represent a diverse continuum of affordable housing stakeholders, including financial institutions, advocacy organizations, state housing finance agencies, and community nonprofits. We believe that everyone should be able to live in a quality, affordable home in a thriving community. Our mission is to convene and collaborate through dialogue, advocacy, research, and education, to develop equitable solutions that serve our common interest.
NHC is seeking a full-time marketing and communications director. We seek a mission-focused, self-motivated team member with outstanding writing skills and experience working in a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
The marketing and communications director will help NHC expand our online and traditional media presence, pursue our policy priorities, serve our members and grow as an organization. This position will report directly to the president and CEO and work closely with all members of the NHC team.
- Develop, implement and sustain all aspects of NHC’s housing communications strategy under the direction of NHC’s president and CEO. The primary objective is to build the brand and influence of this 90-year-old organization.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with communications professionals at partner organizations and provide leadership to and actively participate in the Washington, DC housing community.
- Develop a strategic marketing communication plan for NHC defining objectives, target audiences, key messaging and tactical mix to build the company’s market leadership position.
- Prepare media releases and conduct outreach to the media regarding the release of publications and data tools (e.g., Paycheck to Paycheck.)
- Provide leadership and oversight on the writing, editing, and translation of the work of NHC into user impactful formats for the website, publications, press materials, and other communications vehicles aimed at internal and external audiences.
- Maintain responsibility for organizational branding and brand awareness, including major policy convenings and NHC’s annual Housing Visionary Award Gala, expected to resume in June 2022.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for NHC’s communications and marketing for existing members and prospects in close coordination with NHC’s president and CEO, and operations vice president.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the NHC websites (nhc.org, https://covid19.nhc.org/ and https://3by30.org/) and new and social media outreach through NHC’s member communications, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube sites.
- Work collaboratively with NHC’s Policy and Research team to articulate policy priorities to NHC members and stakeholders through traditional, new and social media outreach and communications.
- Organize and host housing communications related working group meetings, forums and workshops on behalf of NHC and in conjunction with partner organizations.
- Supervise NHC’s marketing and communications associate and support NHC’s president and CEO as needed.
- Proactively establish and nurture relationships within media.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least five years of professional experience in public policy communications.
- Successful experience placing op-eds and quotes in major national and local publications, as well as booking television and radio appearances.
- Experience in and a strong commitment to the affordable housing field preferred.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong public speaking and persuasive communication skills with great attention to detail and the ability to explain complex ideas.
- Strategic and critical thinker with the ability to focus on diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. At least three recent writing samples are required.
- A self-starter who is well-organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently.
- Ability to work efficiently and adapt to rapidly evolving climates with limited oversight.
- Strong project management skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
- Dynamic comprehension skills with a keen ability to analyze, summarize, draw conclusions, and problem solve.
- Flexible, goal-oriented, able to travel and work long hours when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree encouraged; comparable professional experience will be considered.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit the following materials:
- Cover letter and salary requirements
Email materials with subject line “Marketing and Communications Director – [Your Name]” to: Amanda Mitchell, Vice President of Operations, National Housing Conference, at email@example.com.
All NHC employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
NHC is an equal opportunity employer.